Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Wine and Cheese Pairing - Landshut Riesling and Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese

Name -  Landshut Riesling
Variety - Riesling
Region - Mosel
Country - Germany
Year - 2017
Price - $5

Winery Review - "This exquisite, well-balanced Riesling has a fruity bouquet with flavors of apricot and peach" - aldi.us

Personal Review - The wine itself is great. I decided to grab this wine after discovering it at Aldi on my last trip there. Really sweet but the acidity and after taste really balances it out. Actually better than the other riesling I had a while back that was like 3 times the price. I really like this riesling. Actually getting some short a fruity (almost pineapple but not quite) taste from it.

Cheese/Wine Pairing Notes
I decided to try this wine with cheese I actually did not have experience with prior. My friend recommended it to me on our trip to Aldi. I didn't get a good explanation of what the cheese tasted like from him so I decided just to google "good wine pairing with Dubliner" and I got a general paragraph supporting "a cabernet, sweet white wine, or a port". The best way to describe the cheese is as a combination of cheddar and romano cheese (which in my opinion is essentially a sharp parmesan cheese). It is nutty, salty, and a tiny bit sweet. I also noticed a bit of grass on the palate as well which I found really interesting. By itself, I actually really liked the cheese although it seemed like something I could sick of fast (all sharp cheeses give me this feeling). I will say that the wine and cheese pairing worked quite well. The nuttiness and sharpness of the cheese collided beautifully with the balance and sweetness of the wine. The wine (while definitely enhancing the flavor of the cheese) also "cleansed" the palate in a quite cool the way. Whenever I drank the wine right after taking a bite of cheese it almost felt like the wine gained carbonation. I could feel my taste buds "go into shock" if that sounds right. It was a pleasant experience, to say the least. I would almost find it hard to buy this cheese ever again unless I grabbed a wine with it. I can't wait to go back and grab a cabernet or even a port (which I still haven't tried yet) and get back to this cheese!




No comments:

Post a Comment