Thursday, February 28, 2019

Wine and Cheese Pairing - Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon and Sharp Aged Cheddar

Name - Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety - Cabernet Sauvignon
Region - California
Country - USA
Year - 2017
Price - $7

Winery Review - "This is a jammy wine with robust flavors of wild berries and currants. Hints of toasted oak and clove complete the velvety, smooth finish. Another solid value wine from Barefoot." - wine.com

Personal Review - I decided to try this wine since I wanted to start with a cheap cabernet sauvignon and then moved up. I enjoyed the other barefoot wines I tried so I decided "why not?" and picked up this bottle. I found it be pretty decent. I can definitely taste place for improvement, if that makes any sense. I was expecting more tannins but I did not get that. It was good for the price and I would recommend it as a cheap cabernet.

Cheese/Wine Pairing Notes
I decided to try this wine with an aged sharp cheddar I picked up from Kroger. I decided to go with this pairing because of a quick google search consisting of "best cheese for  cabernet sauvignon". I decided to go with a cheap bottle of Cabernet because honestly I forgot about the cheese pairing assignment until after I drank my 20 dollar bottle of cabernet (oof). I started off by exfoliating and then sniffing the wine before taking my first sip. I then swallowed maybe half of the wine I put in my mouth and mixed the rest with the sharp cheddar. What I noticed is that the wine brought out the "nuttiness" of the cheddar while I felt the saltiness "fade" from the cheese. I also noticed the cheese feel less fatty. I alternated a few times between sip and bite of the cheese. I don't know if I was going crazy or not but the wine definitely tasted "more alcoholic" and by this I mean the grape flavor was definitely subdued. However since the grape flavor was subdued I was able to pick up a lot more of the oak and even some blackberry (which I did not taste in my initial review). I would consider this a "neutral pairing" because the wine itself is not tannic enough compared to a more expensive cabernet sauvignon. I wish I had not drank that bottle before getting this wine/cheese pairing going! I feel as if the extra tannins would had enhanced the nuttiness of the cheese even more and had made the wine "mature" more as well.

 (Yes I apologize about the cup, my glass ones were in the wash)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment